Monday, October 27, 2008

Some things I have learned

I was reading in my journal the other day. I would like to share one of my entries. May 22, 2008 How often the word “Why?” has been emitted from my thoughts or mind yet the answer eludes me time and time again until a moment way down in time I understand the why. Often our prayers seem to be unheard and I stumble groping for peace, hope, or assurance that I am headed in the right way. I was contemplating several of the 'whys' in my life and realized if it weren’t for these ‘whys’ I wouldn’t know love, the kind that is eternal. I wouldn’t know joy, the kind that can come from being a mom and a wife. I wouldn’t know deep anguishing pain or sorrow for those you truly care about. I wouldn’t know anger, happiness, misery, forgiveness both being able to be forgiven and for being forgiving when someone has hurt you deeply. I wouldn’t have known laughter, the kind that makes your heart soar. I wouldn’t know misery and unconditional love, the kind that keeps on giving even when you don’t deserve it. I wouldn’t know peace, the kind that comes from knowing who you are. I wouldn’t know kindness, thankfulness and gratitude. I wouldn’t have courage to face each new trial. I wouldn’t have wisdom beyond my earthly capabilities. Yes, the ‘whys’ may be painful but they are what has shaped the woman I have become.

4 comments:

Kristin said...

What a great post. Thank you. What an amazing woman you have become!! I tear up just thinking about how lucky I am to be surrounded by such amazing individuals!! I have learned so much from you in the past and continue still today. I am truly blessed to have you in my life! It tells a person so much when you are praying for others, when indeed you are the one going through so much! I have been thinking about you guys and you are in my prayers. Love ya!
Kristin

LauriJo said...

Thank you for you post! It is so true about the whys in life, and I am very grateful for them as well. I know there is a reason for everything and it may not be until long in the future that we know the answer, but boy am I glad to have the Gospel in my life to explain a lot and give comfort in a time of trial. I love you!

nina said...

Such beautiful words of wisdom to live by. I love looking back at journal entries that I have written. They seem to give me strength when I am facing trials. Sometimes when we record our testimony it is a good reminder for us of what we believe when we may be going through a weak moment.

Linda said...

I don't ask why I have such a great Sister-in-law. I'm just glad that I do! I love you.