Monday, August 9, 2010

Trip

Shawnee and I had the opportunity to travel to Nauvoo and Winter's quarters after visiting my sister in Minneapolis. One can't even begin to express the emotions that passed through me as I walked upon those sacred grounds. Even though it was extremely hot and the humidity was just as high we were able to attend the pageant two nights (thanks Shawnee for indulging me). We were treated like royalty. Even though it was very hot and humid it was a wonderful trip. The best part for me was being able to attend the temple in all three places we visited. I love the temple. I will post more picture later of other high lights. This is the Saint Paul/Minneapolis temple. The top window is the window in which the prophet fell from after he was shot. The door at Carthage where the bullet went through the door. Joseph and Hyrum as they rode off to Carthage. Truly humbling. I think one of the greatest things I came away with from this trip was a greater love for the prophet Joseph Smith, his wife Emma and for Hyrum his brother. What love they must have had for each other and for the Lord. While in Nauvoo we were able to attend the pageant. It was amazing. I think I felt every emotion from happiness to sorrow while watching it. This is a picture of the Nauvoo temple. It was amazing to see the river while standing in front of it on the hill.You can see Shawnee in front looking west as Pres. Hinckley suggested during the dedication of the temple. I loved attending a session while there. When I was quite young I learned how to spell MISSISSIPPI. It is as wide as its name is long! Shawnee overlooking the great Mississippi! On our way home we stopped at Winter's Quarters and went to the temple there. We were able to tour the visitor center and I walked the sacred grounds where so many pioneers were buried.

3 comments:

Tracy said...

What an amazing experience for you!! I'm so thrilled you were able to take this trip. Happy Day for you!! :-)

nina said...

How awesome, I would love to go there! Maybe Brad and I will take a trip some time, I think it is only like nine hours from us.

Linda said...

It makes me want to go